I love trying new recipes and things for my kids that have healthy elements to them but with a little bit of fun just for them. These Oatmeal Smarties bars are perfect because all of my kids love Smarties. I mean who doesn’t love Smarties? They are easy to make and you probably already have all the ingredients you need at home especially now that Halloween is just around the corner.
Did you know that Smarties aren’t available in the United States? The kids’ aunt who lives in the USA brings them back with her every time she comes here to visit because they can’t buy them over there.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons butter – room temperature
- 4 ½ cups flaked oats
- 1 cup Smarties
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Extra smarties for the top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter/Spray a large deep baking dish or cookie sheet
- Mix eggs, sugar, salt, vanilla, baking soda and butter until well combined
- Stir in oats, chocolate chips, and smarties until just combined
- Spread batter into prepared dish and press down with spatula creating an even layer.
- Top with extra smarties if desired
- Bake for 19-21 minutes, or until golden brown
- Let cool in the pan before serving
If you are looking for a super easy recipe that doesn’t take a lot of time and effort, look no further than these amazing oatmeal smarties bars. They are perfect for after-school snacks or even for packing in their lunches as a sweet healthier alternative to some of the things my kids usually take for lunch. I won’t lie and say I won’t be eating a few myself when I make them this weekend. I am not a great baker but I know that these will come out perfectly every time.