Spring has arrived and it’s time to start your spring cleaning. The thing is, you could use some help. More hands make less work, so it makes sense that you want the kids to pitch in on your spring cleaning endeavours.
Children can help with a variety of spring cleaning tasks, and it’s beneficial for them to see how helping out around the house can have a positive effect. Give your children tasks that are age appropriate and allow them to work as a team.
Tasks Your Kids can Perform
Cleaning the Fridge
- Empty the refrigerator of all food and debris and remove the shelves to be put in the sink.
- Using warm water, dish soap and a sponge, your child can give the fridge a scrub inside and out.
- Wipe down shelves with warm soapy water, dry and return to the refrigerator.
- Put all food items back in the fridge.
Clean out the Garage
Kids can help with cleaning out the garage as well. Have boxes prepared labelled: Throw away, Keep and Donate and have your children sort through items in the garage.
Deep Clean Bedrooms
- Have your children go through their cupboards, dressers and closets to try on clothes they haven’t worn in a while. Clothes that don’t fit but are in good condition can be donated.
- Take sheets off the beds and prepare them for the laundry.
- Wipe down baseboards with a sponge and warm soapy water.
- Clean, dust and organize shelving.
- Vacuum or sweep floor.
- Wipe down all surfaces.
Make sure the bags of trash are not too heavy, if they are not, allow your child to take them out to the trash can. While spring cleaning there will be a lot of clutter, so removing it promptly will help to keep the house clean and functional.
Cleaning windows is another task that children can help with when spring cleaning. Give your children microfiber cloths or some paper towels and nontoxic window cleaner and allow them to make those windows sparkle. They can even help to remove any sticky, leftover tape or stickers that may be leftover from the holidays.
If you are preparing to start a new garden this spring, you will need to have the backyard thoroughly cleaned. Children can easily help with yard work by helping to remove any dead branches or debris in the yard.
Kids can also rake and bag any leaves or debris in the yard and even wipe down patio furniture.
There are many spring cleaning tasks that your Children can help you with. Just find age-appropriate ways for your kids to help. Encouraging teamwork is an amazing way to get your spring cleaning done faster.