Parenting is a tough job. One of the hardest jobs I have ever had but also the most rewarding one I will ever have. Raising a child or children and making sure they are growing up to their full potential is hard work. Add in a few quirks and differences and it’s one heck of a ride. Our family dynamic also plays into each of our days with my one son with Tourettes and another with ADHD as well as dealing with the fact that we are a blended family definitely makes things tough some days.
I try to make sure every day that my kids hear at least several of these because a lot of time we focus on the negative and the fact that they have done something they shouldn’t have. I have made it my goal that for 2018 we are going to also focus on all of their good things and make those a big deal too.
- I love you always
- You are important
- Your opinion always matters
- Our family is better because you are in it
- Never be afraid to be you, that’s the best you can be ever
- Being your mom (or dad) is the best thing I do in my day
- We all make mistakes, we are human and we can learn from them
- I will never stop loving you no matter what happens
- You are and always will be enough
- You are helpful
- You have great ideas
- Always believe in your self
- If you try your best, that is all I ever want from you
- You are a good boy/girl
- Nobody is perfect
These are just a few that I am trying to make sure I say to my kids every day because it’s important that we build them up and say positive things. I think we hear so many negative things in a day as well as spending so much time getting angry when they misbehave we sometimes forget how important it is to also hear the good things. I know especially with my oldest who is in high school, it is more important than ever that she knows that she is loved, that she is beautiful and that she is valuable. She has struggled with self-esteem issues and I am doing everything I can to build her back up and these are some of the things that will help.
How do you build your kids back up? Do you make sure to say positive things in their day?