I have always loved chocolate mousse. I think it’s the light, airiness of it that I love most. I came up with the perfect way to enjoy one of my favourite products this summer and stir things up a little by using Carnation Hot Chocolate powder in this mousse recipe. Hot chocolate is usually synonymous with winter but now with this great, easy recipe, you can enjoy it year-round. Try it for yourself and let me know what you think.
250g chocolate (I chose a Swiss milk chocolate bar)
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup Carnation Hot Chocolate powder
2 eggs – separated (2 egg yolks, 2 egg whites)
1 tbsp white sugar
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup seasonal berries (I used strawberries and raspberries on mine)
- Place chocolate, hot chocolate powder, and water into a bowl and place on a pot of low boiling water
- Stirring with a metal spoon and allow the chocolate to melt and mix with the hot chocolate powder. Remove from heat
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the 2 egg yolks and 1/2 tbsp of sugar. Whisk until light in colour (about a minute)
- Pour the slightly cooled melted chocolate mixture into the egg yolks until mixed well (about 3 minutes), set aside
- Place egg whites into a mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until foamy. Add in remaining 1/2 tbsp of sugar to the egg whites and beat until soft peaks form (about 3 minutes)
- Take 1/4 of the egg white mixture and slowly mix it into the chocolate egg mix. Add the remaining egg whites and fold into the mixture until no streaks are present
- In a clean mixing bowl, beat the whipping cream on medium until soft peaks form. Take 1/2 cup of the whipped mixture and set it aside. Fold the remaining cream into the chocolate mixture slowly until no white streaks are visible
- Spoon the mousse into individual serving cups (I was able to get 4 of the size cup you see in my photos)
- Cover with plastic wrap and set in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours (overnight is better)
- Using the remaining whip cream, add a dollop on top of each mousse and your choice of seasonal berry.
- Sprinkle with Carnation Hot Chocolate powder and serve
Would you serve this if you entertain this summer?