These past 6 months as a mom of 5 has been incredibly nuts. Being pulled in several directions has been hard and although I have come out on top most days, there are balls rolling around that I can’t seem to find under the 20 loads of laundry and crumb-filled carpet. I am not going to lie but my house is a disaster of disorganized chaos and you know what, I don’t even care. For the past 6 months we have just been enjoying family time, baby snuggles and getting into some kind of a routine I can live with. One thing I realized I have been thinking more about lately is who am I? Am I just someone’s wife, someone’s mom? This year is about finding myself in the chaos and taking some much needed me time.
Having children changed me in so many wonderful ways and it is a huge part of who I am but it isn’t all of who I am. Being a mother is something I have wanted more than anything and I am so proud of my role as a mom but I am also a loving, faithful wife. I am a writer. It’s funny that is the first time I have ever written that down. I never pictured myself as a writer although I love it and I am so glad that I started writing after Oliver was born. It’s funny how life changes around you. If you had asked me 20 years what I would be doing the year I turn 40, it definitely wouldn’t be blogging and raising 5 kids. I also wouldn’t have said I would have been divorced and remarried either. Life has a way of challenging you, of helping you reach your full potential if you just let it. I will be 40 in a little over 4 months and I realize that I still have so much to accomplish and to see.
Although a big part of who I am is a mother, I think that I can also become a kick ass blogger and maybe even make a full-time income for my growing family. I also am a wife and that part of me has been feeling like I may be forgetting that part lately. Not that I am intentionally ignoring my husband or that I am not trying to make more time for him but I find there are just not enough hours in a day for everything to fit in. I have realized though more than ever these last 6 months, how much this man loves me and our family. He is my rock, my best friend and the best damn man any woman could ask for as a husband and father/stepfather.
So another big goal for me this year besides just writing some kick ass content for the blog that will include some amazing, quick and easy recipes, some DIY jobs that I hope to take on this year and some great giveaways, I am going to start making some time for me. Whether that means just running out to the store or going for a coffee with friends, this year I will be doing more for me. So here’s my 5 tips for making some me time.
- Remember that even being a mom or a wife requires that you are at your best and that we all need to unwind and recharge for that to happen. Find 10 minutes for yourself everyday. Read a book, go for a walk by yourself or just close the door to your bedroom and decompress.
- Book a spa day and spend a few hours pampering yourself. If you have private health insurance you can even have the massage covered if they are a registered massage therapist.
- Hang out with some of your girlfriends. Having a girls night out is good for the soul and allows you time to catch up. It’s nice to be able to decompress with friends while venting. I don’t know about you but venting to my friends is cathartic and usually involves a great bottle of wine and a ton of laughing.
- Learn to say “no”. If you are like me, you try to please and help everyone around you and at the end of the day you are the one left feeling overwhelmed, under appreciated and exhausted. Sometimes as a busy mom, I have to say no. To my kids, my husband, my friends and even sometimes with work on the blog. I know when I am feeling stressed and saying no happens to be very freeing.
- Indulge in something simple like going out for dinner instead of cooking, a nice hot bubble bath with candles and a glass of wine (or tea) or go for a mani/pedi just because. Sometimes for me just getting a few minutes to myself to do something I enjoy can make all the difference in my day.
So friends, hit me up with your best me time ideas (I need some more inspiration) and tell me what you do for you?