There is nothing I take more seriously than the safety of my children. I still have my 9 year old in a booster because he is safer and I am actually putting my 6 year old back into a 5-point harness as he will be safer. When I was asked if I wanted to review the new Graco Contender 65 for little man, I absolutely said yes.
The first thing I noticed about this seat was how light it is. I have had other seats that are so heavy they are difficult to pick up and put into the car. Also it is very slim compared to many seats on the market. It is perfect should little man have to be moved into the back row of the van when (hopefully) we get pregnant again with baby #5. The installation was a breeze and I had the car seat installed in under 10 minutes. I was able to go to a car seat clinic that Graco was sponsoring as well and had his seat looked at and we made sure it was done right. If you get the chance to visit a clinic, I suggest you do. Even with having 4 kids, I still learned quite a few valuable tidbits of information that I had no idea about. The car seat technician knew everything about the seat as well as a ton of information on most car manufacturers and whatever information she didn’t have she either consulted the manual or made sure I knew to ask the company.
We have had the seat for about 2 months now and I love everything about it. Little man is totally comfortable in it and thanks to the clinic, he is also in the seat the way he should be. The adjustment for making the buckles align exactly where they should is a breeze with a one hand adjustment and not having to re-thread the straps is a huge bonus. I can do this without any issues and it’s easy to adjust unlike some seats I have had in the past.
Some of the great features of the Contender are:
- Infant Car Seat to Car Seat for Toddlers. The Graco Contender 65 Convertible Car Seat goes from rear-facing baby car seat (for your child from 5 to 35 lbs.) to forward-facing toddler car seat (from 22 to 65 lbs.).
- Easy-Adjust Convertible Car Seats. This car seat comes with Graco’s smart Simply Safe Adjust Harness System, one of mom’s favourite features on convertible car seats. It is designed to make finding the proper fit for your child safe and simple. The system features a no-rethread harness that automatically adjusts. In fact, you can easily adjust the fit and height with just one hand.
- 5-point front adjust harness makes getting your little one in and out of the car seat a breeze
- One-hand 8-position adjustable headrest easily adapts to your growing toddler’s needs
- Removable body support keep baby comfy
- UAS-equipped with an easy-to-read level indicator for hassle-free installation
- Car Seat with Smart Engineering. Graco car seats are designed to help keep your child safe on all of your journeys together. Side-impact tested, EPS and more give parents peace of mind.
- Easy-to-use two-position recline. Rotate flip foot from front to back position to change recline when you’re switching the convertible car seat from rear-facing to front-facing.
- Conveniently placed removable cup holder keeps drinks within reach of little hands, so your tiny travel companion remains content
This is by far the nicest and easiest convertible car seat I have ever owned and would recommend this seat to anyone and it’s slim design means it will fit even in smaller sedans. If you would like to get more information on the seat you can check it out on Graco’s site here. It can now be purchased exclusively in Canada at Canadian Tire.