My grandmother always made the best things to eat. She had amazing recipes and I loved so many of them. Unfortunately, when she passed away I am sure some of her great stuff passed with her. However, my aunt has most of her great recipes and one of my favourites and that I now make for my family is her beef paprika. It’s an easy recipe to do and literally has 2 main ingredients, beef chunks and ketchup and a few other spices but nothing that most people don’t have on hand. I love it for weekday meals as prep time is about 10 minutes and then you let it simmer for about an hour to an hour and 20 minutes. I have done it in my crockpot as well and just added all of the ingredients in and set it on low for 8 hours and it’s just as delicious.
Since the prep time is so short, you can throw it all in the pot and then do something else while you wait for it to simmer. I usually take the time to help my kids with their homework, throw in a load of laundry and catch up on my e-mails or even write up a post. You don’t have to watch it while it simmers so there is no reason you can’t literally set it and forget until the timer goes off.
I have quite a few quick and go to recipes that I feed my family every week and I have so many recipes that I have done to try to put more food on the blog but I haven’t had much time to get them on here, so in my attempt to try to bring you more recipes on the blog, I will start with one of my favourites.
- 2 pounds of stewing beef
- 2 tsp. olive oil (or any cooking oil)
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
- 4 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. dry or wet mustard
- 1/4 cup water
- 2tbsp. flour and 1/4 cup water
- Cut stewing beef into cubes, cook the beef in the oil until brown. Mix ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, mustard and water together. Add the ingredients to the beef and let simmer on low for one hour to one hour 20 minutes until beef is soft. Mix the 2 tbsp. of flour and 1/4 water together and add in the final minutes of cooking to thicken the sauce. Serve of rice or egg noodles.
- You can also throw all of the ingredients into your slowcooker at cook on low for 8 hours. It's perfect for throwing together before work. If you are using this method, do not cook the beef and throw everything in together.
- I wanted to note that to serve my family of 6, I double this recipe